We hope you have all had a wonderful summer with family and friends. Living in San Luis Obispo, California is great year-round but, as a home pest control company, we know that our area has its own unique problems with rodents, termites and pests.
In addition to the normal pests we anticipate in the fall, our unusually dry weather has been a boon for pests and bugs that can damage home gardens and lawns. Those bugs which are already here may find conditions favorable for multiplying with more rapid life cycles, while new insects might be drawn to the area from parched areas of the state.
We recommend taking additional steps to protect your home or business from pest infestations this fall. This newsletter offers some helpful ideas, but you should also have a pest inspection from our local pest control experts. We will look for early signs of infestation, and determine whether your home or business is in need of our ant control, bird control, or rat control services. Call us at 805-544-9446 and request a free estimate for our state-of-the-art pest control services.
John & Maria Brezden
Fall Home Maintenance Tips to Minimize Pest Infestations in San Luis Obispo
As with anything we do in life, an ounce of prevention in pest control is worth a pound of cure. Here are some steps you can take to keep your home free of pests this fall:
- Brown Marmorated Stink Bug: In the fall adult stink bugs congregate in large numbers on the sides of buildings or trees, reportedly feeding on over 100 plants such as fruit trees, vegetable plants, and shade trees. They then move to protected places where they can spend the winter. Once inside, they become a nuisance and emit an offensive odor if disturbed or crushed. They seek out narrow hiding spaces, including cracks behind baseboards, around window and door trim, and around exhaust fans or lights. Keep stink bugs from entering your home by sealing openings where they can gain access with good quality silicone, silicone-latex caulk, or foam sealant.
- Fall Webworm: The larvae of the fall webworm are pale brown or gray caterpillars with long white hairs. They feed in webbed colonies, similar to spider webs, on the ends of branches. The caterpillars eat the foliage between the leaf veins and form silken tents, damaging the tree’s ability to grow. If you notice web-like structures on trees in your yard, cut out and destroy the infested twigs. It may be necessary to apply Bacillus thuringiensis or spinosad to individual trees with a high-pressure spray if you have spotted evidence of caterpillars.
- Check Your Deck: Worn or weathered deck wood can provide an inviting fall and winter home for unwanted pests. If your deck has lost its shine, consider sealing and staining it again before your bug guests arrive. Also check any outdoor sheds to see if they need a fall fix-up.
- Yard Maintenance: General yard maintenance for the fall can help eliminate pest and rodent problems. Make sure you trim back your bushes and trees, keep wood piles and tree limbs away from the house, ensure proper drainage away from your home’s foundation, and remove any puddles, standing water, or debris.
On another note, this is also the time of year when we start to think about getting our homes ready for winter. Ask Brezden about Thermal Acoustic Pest Control or T•A•P insulation from Pest Control Insulation Systems. This blown-in, eco-friendly cellulose insulation will keep bugs out and warm air in.
Q & A with Your Pest Control Experts
Brezden has provided home and commercial pest control in San Luis Obispo from pests since 1980. Here are answers to some of the most common questions about rodent control:
- What should I do if I suspect that a rodent or other pest has taken up residence around my home? Never touch an animal as it may carry rabies or other diseases. Always take caution, and use the proper equipment to trap and dispose of the animal. If you are not sure about what to do, contact the licensed pest professionals at Brezden to properly exclude the pests.
- What should I do about that smell under the porch? Some animal has probably crawled under there and died. Don’t let your pets or children near the area, and definitely don’t touch anything with bare hands. Better yet, call Brezden immediately and let us take care of the dead animal removal for you.
- Do we have termites? Termites are quite common in our area. They can lodge in decks, walls, foundations, sheds and make themselves quite at home. Call Brezden for a complete termite inspection, and ask for our recommendations regarding termite treatment.
Labor Day Events around San Luis Obispo, CA
Have some fall fun at these Labor Day events in San Luis Obispo:
- CONCERTS IN THE PLAZA: Friday, September 4, 5-8pm at Mission Plaza. Dust off your boots for the toe-tapping, good time tunes of The Mother Corn Shuckers. Local vendors, The Brat Stop, Which Wich Superior Sandwiches and Batch! Mobile sell snacks and food for hungry concert-goers while Firestone Walker Brewing Company and Edna Valley Vineyard supply beer and wine for purchase.
- ART AFTER DARK: Friday, September 4, 6-9pm at Mission Plaza. Businesses stay open after hours and welcome hundreds of visitors and locals to enjoy art, community and much more! There are over 30 venues in the tour.
- 6TH ANNUAL CENTRAL COAST CANCER CHALLENGE: Sunday, September 6, 5-11am at Mission Plaza. Run or walk a 5K or 10K through beautiful Downtown San Luis Obispo and help raise funds for the Hearst Cancer Resource Center.
- SIPS & SONGS CONCERT SERIES FEATURING THE KICKS: Friday, September 4, 5:30-7:30pm at Claiborne & Churchill Winery, 2649 Carpenter Canyon Road. Enjoy a fun and relaxing evening with C&C wine, local food, and live music by The Kicks. Free admission, wine and food are sold separately.
About Brezden Pest Control – Brezden Pest Control was founded in Cayucos by John and Maria Brezden in 1980. It has since expanded to serve all of San Luis Obispo, Paso Robles, Los Osos, Cayucos, Cambria, Five Cities, Atascadero and Santa Maria. Professional pest control services provided by Brezden include dead animal removal, pest inspection, rodent exclusion, and subterranean termite control. Call 805-544-9446 for a free termite inspection or visit the website at https://www.brezdenpest.com to download a PDF copy of the ‘Top 10 Reasons Customers Choose Brezden Pest Control’. For monthly specials, LIKE the Facebook page.