Believe it or not, termites fart the most of any other animal on the face of this planet. They produce so much flatulence that some scientists have speculated that they can produce 165 million tons of methane every year.
The National Pest Management Association (NMPA) declared March 12-18 as National Termite Awareness Week. Most people know that termites devour wood, including the wood in houses. But these pests deserve a whole week because they are so much more destructive than most of us know. Read on to find out why termites are such a threat, and what you can do to protect yourself and your family.
Here are a few termite fun facts courtesy of the NPMA.
- Subterranean termites are present in every state in the U.S. except for Alaska.
- Termites make up 10% of the world’s mass of living organisms.
- There are more than 2000 species of termite that have been recorded so far.
- Termites never stop eating. They are eating 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- If you could gather and weigh all the termites in the world, they would weigh more than the combined weight of all the human beings in the world.
- Formosan termite queens can lay up to 1000 eggs a day
- Worker termites can search for food up to 250 feet from their colonies.
- Termites cause more than $5 billion dollars of property damage each year. A group of termites is capable of eating the entire structure of a home in just two years.
- Termite damage is not covered by most homeowner’s insurance policies.
Another scary fact about termites: there can be up to 2 million in a colony.
Every area has termites particular to that region, and San Luis Obispo is no different. Here is a quick rundown of the three most common types of termites in our area:
Now that you know how serious termites can be, here are some of the ways Brezden Pest can help prevent termite damage to your home. If you are selling a home and it is in escrow or pre-escrow, we will provide a free termite inspection if you call to schedule your termite inspection by Friday 3/17/17 at 5pm PST. You can call us at 805-544-9446 or email email@example.com for more information or to set up an inspection.
We also offer termite inspections for just $75 for FHA loans, VA loans, and refinance loans.
In a typical termite inspection, the technician will walk the property and draw a diagram, identifying and problem areas on the diagram. Then the technician will inspect the exterior for evidence of dry rot, fungus, or other signs of an infestation. The technician then moves on to the interior of the home. Areas checked include eaves, door jams, window frames, interior walls, bathtubs, drains, and crawlspace or sub area of the home.
About Brezden Pest Control: Brezden Pest Control provides rodent control, bird control, ant control, and termite treatment services in the San Luis Obispo area. The company keeps homes and businesses pest-free with its commercial pest control and home pest control services. “Like” the Facebook page to receive information on termite treatment. Call 805-544-9446 today for a local pest control estimate. Visit the website to download a copy of the “Top 10 Reasons Customers Choose Brezden Pest Control.”